Disgraced U.S. Rep. John Conyers’ attorney told the Free Press on Wednesday that the congressman has “no plans to resign at this juncture” over sexual harassment claims.
Attorney Arnold Reed of Southfield also disputed a report from WDIV-TV (Channel 4) Wednesday evening citing unnamed sources that Conyers plans to stay in Congress but announce in January that he will not run for re-election next year, saying the report is “not accurate, there is nothing definitive.”
Earlier Wednesday, the Free Press reported that U.S. Rep. Cedric Richmond, the chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus had denied that the caucus, which was co-founded by Conyers, was urging him to resign, saying, “We think that is a decision for him and his family and his constituents to make.”
The 88-year-old Conyers flew back to Detroit from Washington, D.C., on Tuesday night amid a swirl of sexual harassment allegations, and he missed several votes, including a unanimous one Wednesday in favor of requiring all U.S. House members and staff to undergo training to prevent sexual harassment.
CNN reports Conyers is hiding out in a Detroit hospital.
So far, three Democratic members of the U.S. House have called on Conyers to resign: U.S. Reps. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon, Pramila Jayapal of Washington and Kathleen Rice of New York. Conyers stepped down as the ranking Democrat of the House Judiciary Committee on Sunday.
Another staffer, whom the Free Press has not named, filed a federal lawsuit against Conyers this year alleging sexual harassment and then withdrew it when a judge refused to seal the court record.
Meanwhile, Buzzfeed reported on a complaint filed by an anonymous former female staffer that was settled in 2015 for more than $27,000 in office funds, raising questions as to whether it was proper use of taxpayer dollars. And CNN on Tuesday reported on accusations made by another former staffer, Deanna Maher, who said Conyers groped her and on one occasion entered a bedroom where she was and took off his clothes.