The stranger’s message on YouTube couldn’t have been clearer.
“Im going to be a professional school shooter,” a person identifying himself as Nikolas Cruz wrote in a comment beneath another user’s video in September.
The declaration was so alarming — so disturbing — that the video’s poster, Ben Bennight, who lives in Alabama, did what Americans are supposed to do. He called the Federal Bureau of Investigation to warn them.
Following a brief investigation, officials later said, the FBI closed the case, after apparently failing to identify the person who’d made the comment. It would prove to be a missed opportunity of heartbreaking proportions.
On Wednesday afternoon, a South Florida 19-year-old named Nikolas Cruz walked into a high school where he had been expelled for disciplinary problems. He then opened fire with an AR-15 rifle and killed 17 people, officials said.
Nice work FBI.
The reality was that Cruz tormented his neighbors. The Los Angeles Times reports that he posed with guns on Instagram. He was so troublesome at school that he got kicked out, and when he returned Wednesday, a school monitor recognized him and radioed a warning.
Now, yet another grieving community — and a nation roiled by yet another emotional debate over how to prevent mass shootings — must reckon with how a young man who had become a dark joke among fellow students had been intercepted only after an act of mass murder.
Unfortunately none of this fits in with the elite media’s narrative blaming the NRA and the millions of Americans who own firearms and don’t do crimes. No doubt there are more psychopath adolescents trolling the internet waiting for their opportunity to attack. Thanks to the hapless FBI we won’t know until the next tragedy happens.