Agency was too busy doing political work for the Clinton campaign to actually be bothered with law enforcement issues
The FBI admitted to properly investigate a tip it received last month about the teenager accused of killing 17 people at a South Florida high school this week, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The admission that drew outrage from the families of the dead and calls from lawmakers for its director to resign.
On Jan. 5, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI to report that he had posted disturbing messages on social media and that he had a desire to kill, according to the FBI statement.
The agency said proper “protocols were not followed” in investigating Cruz, who has been charged as the gunman in the massacre Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the Fort Lauderdale suburb of Parkland.
The revelation deepened the sense that the attack could have been prevented if authorities had heeded various warnings about Cruz.
The Broward County Sheriff’s office shares in the responsibliity and the shame.
The 19-year-old suspect was no stranger to local law enforcement.
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a news conference Friday that his office had responded to “approximately 20 calls for service over the last few years regarding the killer.” He did not provide details about those calls.
The tip to the FBI came through its call center, a facility in West Virginia that handles roughly 2,100 calls a day, according to a law enforcement official who spoke about the shooting investigation on the condition that he not be named.
The caller said Cruz had recently purchased firearms, threatened a family member and displayed erratic behavior, the official said.
“Clearly the person was afraid [he] was going to harm somebody,” the official said.
There was a conversation between the tipster and the FBI employee who took the call, the official said, noting that enough information was provided — including Cruz’s address — that the call center employee should have written a report and sent it to the Miami field office for investigation. That didn’t happen.
It was at least the second time the FBI had been warned about Cruz.
In September, an Alabama resident named Ben Bennight called the FBI to report a comment left beneath a video he had posted on YouTube.
“Im going to be a professional school shooter,” it said. The commenter identified himself as Nikolas Cruz.
Law enforcement has said Cruz was able to blend in with other students as he fled the school following the shooting. No motive for the attack has been released.
President Trump, who has called the gunman “mentally disturbed” and has offered condolences on Twitter and at a news conference, visited Broward Health North Hospital late Friday to meet with doctors and first responders who treated victims of the rampage.
The elite media continues to blame the President, and the National Rifle Association for the shooting.